Pages

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Do you use data notebooks?

When I was a new teacher, I use to frown {okay so I may have rolled my eyes} every time I would hear an "older" teacher talk about how things never change in education and that every new idea was just "reinventing the wheel." It always made me feel like my opinions were not valued or that I didn't have anything to contribute because I was the new kid on the block. So as I went on in my teaching career, I was careful as a mentor to not squash any ideas and keep my mind open.
So picture this...it is the end of the year and my former intern, teaching buddy, and trusted friend came to me about a training she just went to. AND what did I do? SQUASH CITY! I am embarrassed to admit it...I had become the "old teacher" who was defending what I had always done… not budging...not even listening. She began to tell me about the Data Notebooks that the middle school kiddos were using and how we are going to do them next year. All I heard was...we are going to do them. {Did I have a choice?} Now, it is known and I will admit it is not one of my favorite traits but I am somewhat of a control freak. Thinking back I probably could have handled this situation better. 
So as the summer went on I thought about ways to make the Data Notebooks more meaningful to my firsties. And I realized I don't know much about them. So I am hoping to make a mends and listen. My ears and mind are open. Do you use Data Notebooks? What kinds of things do you put in them? How much time does it take for the kids? Can they do it independently? 
Then...just like usual the blogging fairy granted me a wish and her name is Mrs. Saoud.
She posted this giveaway today. Not only does it look meaningful… it's pretty darn cute too...which is making the "you were right and I was wrong” pill a little easier to swallow. Now, I can't wait to read her post about Data Notebooks. Be sure to check it out today. But why wait...let's get started here. I would love to hear how you use data notebooks. 
Until next time...
Anais  



8 comments:

  1. I haven't used one, but our district is moving into more data, data, oh and did I say, data?! I don't do much besides keep track of pretests and post tests. I was considering purchasing this data notebook from Cheryl. Did you buy it? Do you think it's helpful for us teachers making the shift towards data collecting? Let me know. Thanks!
    mmproper@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so excited because I won the data notebook and I NEVER win anything! It is great. Many of the items the students could do on their own with some procedures in place. I am going to try them this year. I am planning on using it like a portfolio but also including goals the students set during reading and writing conferences with a few graphs here and there. Little steps first...
    Thanks for the comment. It is so nice to connect with other teachers.
    Anais

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to stop by and say thanks for entering my giveaway last week. I'm having fun looking through your blog and I'm your newest follower! :)
    Kristin
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kristin,
    I just posted the longest comment ever on your daily 5 post. Hope it helps. Love your blog! Anais

    ReplyDelete
  5. Data Notebooks? I have a cousin who is likewise a grade school teacher. But I haven’t heard her mentioning of any data notebooks. If data notebooks could improve the current educational system, then why not? I think it’s high time we open ourselves to new methods and ideas. Thanks a lot for the opinion!


    My Webblog: http://online-phd-uk.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm appreciate your writing skill. Please keep on working hard. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

  7. Thanks, there are some great ideas here that I had not considered. I'll be recommending this article to others too. Footwear photo editing services
    Background Removal Service
    clipping path service

    Car Image Editing service

    ReplyDelete